Monday, July 7, 2008

Down in NOLA...again...


...and I'm still loving it. :) I have an apartment in a 4-bedroom house at the corner of Magazine and Napoleon and it's a pretty nice place as far as apartments in New Orleans go. The road trip down from Chicago was also pretty fun. It took a while since the Jeep can't speed down, but it was still a good time. We went through Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, and Mississippi. This picture is from a town in Mississippi, I figured it was appropriate for the two of us. Memphis was also pretty cool, but unfortunately we didn't have time to roam around. It was a good trip though and Chicago was a blast.
The first two weeks here have just been kickin it and setting some things up for my research project. My approval did not go as planned, so it was delayed a week before I could really start any 'research', so I spent the time reading, catching up on some sleep, getting to know my housemates, and spending some time with Ben before he defends his dissertation in mid July.
I've also started teaching English again to Latino construction workers at a church around here. I teach twice a week and have a great time doing it. The next step is to come up with a solid curriculum that can be reused in instances like these, with multiple level learners and in a casual environment. I don't want to do something too 'mundane' or something too advanced to keep everybody's attention. It's becoming quite the challenge, but I'm still having a great time.
I forgot how much I liked the city. It's coming back to life much more than the last time I was here, and it's good to be able to get around again. I missed the food, but I'm catching up on that ;) I'm also trying to reconnect with the St. Bernard Project, and also find some other organizations that would be cool to work with. There are many housing justice issues here, as well as environmental justice, and social justice...and... Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard, and I'm sure I'll come back again someday :0)

No comments: